I recently came across this list from Buzzfeed called “19 Things Women Writers Are Sick Of Hearing” and shared it with some of my female writer friends; they had a number of frequently received annoying comments to add to the list, many of which are peculiar to female horror writers. Autumn Christian mentioned some of them in her 2012 guest post “Some difficulties in being a female horror writer“, which is in the Top 10 Most Popular Posts on “Exquisite Corpse” of All Time.
In honour of Women In Horror Month, which was in February (I know, I’m a couple of weeks late, but I was busy cooking and cleaning and wiping noses and teaching young children to read and doing other, similarly insignificant female-type pastimes), I present my findings.
- But you seem so nice!
- But you look so normal!
- You must have “issues”.
- How does your husband feel about you writing horror?
- You write horror? I would have expected you to say romance/children’s books.
- You write horror? What – like Twilight?
- Why don’t you try writing something nice?
- But I don’t like horror – you should write something that I want to read.
- (This one usually comes after they’ve read something that you’ve written, and it’s soooo not what they were expecting – ) What the hell is wrong with you?!?