Obligatory Christmas post – check. Obligatory End of Year post – coming right up. Seeing as the good folks at WordPress have taken the trouble of compiling a whole heap of statistics, I thought I’d rearrange them into a summary of the year on Exquisite Corpse.
Since February 25, 2012, WordPress has been keeping track of where their bloggers’ visitors come from. According to the stats, I’ve had visitors from 104 countries. Over half of my viewers come from the USA. Brazil has only recently shot into the Top 10 stats, due to the inexplicable popularity of gnus in that country. (When I say “inexplicable”, I mean that I don’t know why; if anyone else can enlighten me, I’d love to know what’s up with that.) Thanks to gnus (and about 185 million more people), I’m more popular in Brazil than in my native country of New Zealand.
Most views in 2012 by country
- United States 53%
- United Kingdom 9%
- Australia 7%
- Canada 5%
- Brazil 2.5%
- New Zealand 2.5%
- Italy 2%
- Germany 1.5%
- India 1%
- South Africa 1%
The most popular search term is a little more slippery to count, as there are countless variations on what amounts to the same search. This is copy-and-pasted directly from the stats. I’m glad I made it into the top 10; it would have been embarrassing if I hadn’t, seeing as it’s my blog!
- sons of anarchy drinking game
- fringe drinking game
- multiculturalism in Australia
- tracie mcbride
- character clichés
- jax teller
- female horror writers
- australian multiculturalism
- jax teller shower scene
This one is entirely subjective – these are not the most common search terms, but ranked solely on their ability to make me laugh, cry or say “WTF?” One thing is certain – the lovely Charlie Hunnam, a.k.a. Jax Teller, brought a lot of viewers to my blog, with or without his ass.
Top 10 weirdest search terms of 2012
- jacks teller with his ass
- saying no to chocolate [It’s simple; you don’t.]
- bacon cyborg
- corpse shoe laces
- cello dogs [Huh. And I thought mine was the only dog that liked to climb inside cello cases. ]
- flagellation cookbook [Maybe that’s where you’ll find the recipes for bacon cyborgs.]
- barack obama has a wart on his nose [Yes, he has. What of it?]
- brenda blethyn topless [You won’t find that here!!!]
- nightmare before christmas wedding stuff
- monkey riding a unicorn [This, on the other hand, you will find here.]
No surprises here – my most popular posts correspond closely with the most popular search terms. With particular thanks to Autumn Christian, Nerine Dorman, S.B. Knight, Dark Hall Press and Shane Stadler for providing guest posts, interviews and review materials.
Most popular posts of 2012
- The Sons of Anarchy drinking game
- “She shot herself with a gnu.”
- The Fringe drinking game
- Top 10 Tuesday: Character Clichés That Rip My Undies
- What’s that on your face?
- Some difficulties in being a female horror writer
- Lies, damn lies and reporting
- Introducing Nerine Dorman
- Guest Post from S.B. Knight: To sparkle or not to sparkle…that is the question.
- Review: Exoskeleton by Shane Stadler
Statistics are useless without some attempt to analyse them, so what does one make of all of this? I could only come up with six conclusions that remotely made sense.
- Guest bloggers make this all worthwhile.
- Bacon and chocolate are universal languages.
- Ditto Jax Teller’s butt.
- The “typical” visitor to Exquisite Corpse is an American, alcoholic, couch potato.
- Facial warts are of global importance and concern.
- Brazilians love gnus.